Friday, November 17, 2006

The Opening

The opening of Rebelo:06 at Opus was amazing with an awesome turn out hosting a variety of age groups. It was impressive to see an older generation appreciate work produced by street artists in a gallery when they would have ignored it on the streets or classed it as vandalism. It was wicked cause Jonny filmed the entire night and I'm looking forward to viewing that.







I was still cutting in the upper basemnet whilst Gav freestyle doodled down in the lower basement and on the gallery window, I would love to have joined him but I was way to busy and under pressure to get my final sheet of paper cut. However Rockabilly and LintsOne, who had travelled all the way from Denmark with his good lady joined in the doodling fun.









The finised wall.



It came to 9pm and I still had a fair amount to cut but thankfully most people at the show were well interested in what I was doing that they were more than willing to hang around to see me spray the stencil. It got to 10pm when I stood up and allowed my back to crack straight and loosen my stiff hands and Marketing Director Louise gathered everyone into the lower basement and I began to paint. I was so nervous cause usually I'm painting on my own in my studio with no one watching what I'm doing. Gav filmed me finishing off the stencil capturing the crowds reaction which was an experience that was I have never experienced when painting.





I became speachless when I had only just signed the piece before all my efforts were rewarded in the piece being sold which was unexpected to me and I thank all the people who patiently waited for me to finish cutting the piece. Pretty much after that the gallery closed and all involved with the show headed down to a pub down the road for a celebrated drink although I recommend you don't go to this pub should you head to Newcastle cause it doesn't have Guinness or Southern Comfort which kinda bugged me cause I would have loved a Guinness after all that cutting.







The next morning I headed to OPUS to talk with some journalist from a local paper with Mr Lee and Mr Guy and you'll never guessed what turned up.....yes that's right Gav's paintings, so they got hung it's just a shame they didn't make it for the opening night.



I would now like to take this opportunity at the end of this massive blog to thank all at Opus for all they did and of course to the great Mr Lee Simpson for making Rebelo:06 happen and allowing me to be apart of it. Thats also to Gavin Strange for telling me about the show and it was amazing to finally kick it with yourself and Jonny and I hope we get to do it again real soon. Shouts out to Mr Guy and Sonney and Rockabilly and LintsOne and all the other artists who displayed their work at the show, it was an honour to exhibit with you all.
Until next time...Peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home